Okay, So What Do Authors Post About?At a place like Instagram, a long form post is not very practical. The content you share on Facebook or Twitter is most likely not going to work here. You need to tell a story with your posts which shouldn't be too hard for an author. Below, I've listed several examples of how authors are using Instagram to share their work and reach readers.
Ideas For Instagram Posts:
- Share quotes (usually short)
- Include teasers from a WIP (work in progress)
- Ask questions to followers. Here’s writer @macxlopes asking followers if they would even want to read his book if it were published.
- Share behind the scenes peeks. For example, author Barbara Freethy posted a pic of her cat starring intently while she worked.
- Post pics of book swag like this one from author K.S. Thomas.
- Reveal new book covers via pic or video.
- Upload book trailers.
- Do a live video. Many authors and celebs use live videos to do live Q&As but you can also use live video to make announcements about publication dates.
Book Related HashtagsAfter figuring out what to post, the second step on my journey was to find all the book and publishing related conversations. To my surprise, it wasn’t hard to find readers and book reviewers.
- #Books 24,140,100 people used this hashtag in their posts
- #Bookstagram: 14,223,284 posts
- #Bookworm: 8,347,983
- #Reading: 14,298,588
- #Writing: 7,730,884
- #Author 3,612,412
- #Ebook: 892,842
- #Shelfi: 836,264
- #Readers: 565,197
- #ReadersOfInstagram: 394,919
- *Bonus: #Bookstagrammer: 1,251,555 to help you find reviewers on Instagram.
A List of Popular #Bookstagrammers:I recommend just looking at these accounts to observe and learn about how Instagram functions. Find an author in your genre and look in the comments section. Engage and follow them, these people are your target audience.
- ReaderOf Winterfell
More Word & Book Related Accounts:
- Amazon Kindle
- Barnes & Noble
- Kobo Books
- Penny Sansevieri
- Tyler Knott
- John Green
YOU CAN READ PART 2 AT: https://cerealauthors.wordpress.com/2017/12/02/instagram-for-authors-part-2/
Invite Rachel's Site & Blog: https://rachelrueben.com/